Monday, March 15, 2010

Brenden's Editorial

Reckless driving, I and my partner have been talking about reckless driving for a couple of weeks now and I believe that in order for things to change, we need to change and some of us are doing that. A new law has been passed by the house to keep teen drivers in check. Now any teen that is sixteen or seventeen can no longer use or operate there cell phone while driving (weather its hands on or hands free). I honestly believe this law is necessary even though I am sixteen because most of the car crashes/deaths are caused by teens, and now I believe that teens will now (hopefully) drive more carefully. The house rejected the senate’s effort on trying to change the sell phone law from a secondary offense to a first offense. A secondary offense is when some one gets pulled over for a primary offense for lets say, reckless driving, and your also on the phone, then they add on the charge of talking on the phone. This can lead into a big chunk of change you’ll have to pay.
Seattle times newspaper (from an article) - ’’ In 2009 the State Patrol caught 5,141 drivers using their handheld cell phone when they were stopped for other offenses. Of those drivers, 1,607 were given a ticket for the violation, and the rest received a warning in addition to a fine for their primary infraction.”
Another Quote- “Last year the National Safety Council called for lawmakers to ban the use of cell phones — including the hands-free kind — by drivers, citing the statistic that the risk of being in an auto accident grows fourfold when the driver is using a cell phone.” Well, it seems like to me that the state patrol needs to stop giving out warnings and hand out those tickets because people don’t seem to comprehend on what is happening on our roads. I am happy on the new state law but we as the people are still not safe on the road, every day I see people on the phone while driving and wonder if there the next one to die or the next one to kill some one, or even worse do both?!?! I know that the Senate, the House and the people will do what’s right some day, but until then you’re in danger, your kids are and your friends are in danger. If you are reading this and you drive while doing anything on your phone, the do the world a favor an turn it of or don’t touch it because you may be avoiding a deadly car crash that could have been prevented.
This will be my last post; hopefully you all have learned something because I know I have.

2 comments:

  1. you make a lot of good points, it should be considered a mor serious offense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Talking on cell phones is just annoying to see. I dont drive, but when riding in a car i see more idiots on the road. Thinking about it yesterday when I was in the car with my mom I saw like 5 different cars pass without a blinker. I think like 2 of them were on their phones. Its just annoying.

    ReplyDelete